Trump tariffs hinder M&A and IPOs in what was supposed to be a blockbuster quarter

(Reuters) - A global trade war kicked off by U.S. President Donald Trump and the ensuing market turmoil soured bankers' predictions for a robust start to a blockbuster year for deals on
First-quarter mergers and acquisitions volume rose 12.6% to
Bankers worldwide are paring back deals and generating less revenue. In the U.S., which accounts for almost half of global M&A transactions, first-quarter volume slipped 13% to
"Could they go public? Sure anybody can go public at any time, if the fundamentals are good. But is it worth the brain damage and potential price that you go public at? Probably not," Witheiler said.
New stock offerings rose about 4.1% to
"A lot of the deals that were announced in the first quarter were generated last year at a time when there was increasing exuberance with a potentially new administration in the U.S., with the expectation of tax cuts and deregulation," said
"Given the developments over the last weeks the reality is that exuberance has left the market and more uncertainty has creeped in."
Verwey said M&A markets need confidence and some potential deals were abandoned because of the uncertainty.
Bankers fear a three-year slowdown in deals will drag on. Globally, investment banking fees through Wednesday fell 4.9% to
"There's probably a bit more caution if you've got significant tariff exposure with regards to either launching a process or frankly executing a transaction," said
Still, there is reason for optimism.
Google's
"There is still a great deal of liquidity in the market between both sponsors and strategics, as well as a desire to put cash to work. There is also pent-up demand from a few slower years of M&A," said
"We were a little more cautious before March but after the activity we've seen in the last few weeks we're more optimistic."
A burst of megadeals in March and hot Asia Pacific IPO activity saved the industry from a moribund quarter. Deal volume in
That deal, however, appeared less solid after reports surfaced on Friday that it will not get signed as planned this week, due to pressure from
Big European deals helped boost activity 7% from a year earlier to
Stalled deals activity led Jefferies on Wednesday to miss first-quarter earnings estimates. The investment bank's revenue from equity underwriting declined 39%, foreshadowing what may be in store when larger rivals Morgan Stanley, Goldman and JPMorgan Chase, report results next month.
Last year's "momentum has been slowed by the uncertainty that has arisen as a result of the policy statements and actions of the government and geopolitical events," Jefferies President
VOLATILITY THREAT TO IPOS
Since Trump's
"Issuers and investors would both like certainty," said
Two major IPOs, by liquefied natural gas exporter Venture Global and artificial intelligence startup , largely drove volumes in the quarter, but their performance has been disappointing.
Venture Global shares have tumbled nearly 60% since it went public, erasing about
"If you put the combination of tariffs and overall economic uncertainty together, it makes it harder as a management team to have real comfort in the trajectory of your own business and your ability to perform in those critical first few quarters post-IPO," said
Some European companies have delayed IPO plans. German pharmaceutical company Stada postponed going public in
"There have been some big and successful deals that have happened in the last 12 months," said
"They're still relatively few and far between, and I think there are quite a few issuers who would want to see a bit more proof in the pudding."
(Reporting by
(c) Reuters 2025. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Related News

-
TikTok deal put on hold after China indicated it would reject it over tariffs, sources say
Reuters - 7:28 PM ET 4/4/2025
-
Stocks slump again after China fires back in trade war with tariffs on US goods
Reuters - 7:33 PM ET 4/4/2025
-
Trump tariff tailspin worsens, Nasdaq confirms in bear market
Reuters - 5:15 PM ET 4/4/2025
-
US oil service firms set for hit from Trump tariffs, tumbling oil prices
Reuters - 2:02 PM ET 4/4/2025
-
Analysis-Latam assets may receive a trade-war boost, investors say
Reuters - 2:16 PM ET 4/4/2025
-
How Microsoft's AI chief measures consumer inroads for Copilot
Reuters - 8:14 PM ET 4/4/2025
-
SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin clinch $13.5 billion-dollar Pentagon launch contracts
Reuters - 6:33 PM ET 4/4/2025