UN urges aid to Myanmar quake survivors before monsoons hit, death toll climbs towards 3,000

(Reuters) -
Drinking water, hygiene, food, shelter and medicine are the most critical needs following extensive damage to buildings, roads and bridges, said Marcoluigi Corsi, acting humanitarian and resident coordinator following a two-day visit.
"We remain, of course, deeply committed to reaching people in
A civil war in
"Continuing military operations in disaster-affected areas risks further loss of life," she said in the statement.
Aid groups in
"Among the missing, most are assumed to be dead. There is a narrow chance for them to remain alive," he said in a speech.
The quake, which struck at lunchtime on Friday, was the strongest to hit the Southeast Asian country in more than a century. It toppled ancient pagodas and modern buildings alike and inflicted significant damage on
U.N. agencies said hospitals were overwhelmed and rescue efforts hindered by infrastructure damage and the civil war. Rebels have accused the military of conducting airstrikes even after the quake and on Tuesday a major rebel alliance declared a unilateral ceasefire to help relief efforts.
The earthquake was the latest in a succession of blows for the impoverished country of 53 million people following a 2021 coup that returned the military to power and devastated the economy after a decade of development and tentative democracy.
In neighbouring
COMMUNITIES FLATTENED
The region has been hit by five more aftershocks.
"And yet, this crisis is still unfolding. The tremors are continuing. Search and rescue operations are ongoing. Bodies are still being pulled from the rubble," she said in a statement.
"Let me be clear: the needs are massive, and they are rising by the hour. The window for life-saving response is closing."
In the Mandalay area, 50 children and two teachers were killed when their preschool collapsed, the U.N. humanitarian agency said.
In a rare survival story, a 63-year-old woman who was trapped for 91 hours was pulled from the rubble of a building in Naypyitaw on Tuesday in a joint rescue effort by the
In its nightly news bulletin on Tuesday, state-controlled MRTV quoted
"The military is aware they are gathering, training, and preparing to attack," it said, quoting the general as saying at an event to raise funds for quake victims. "We consider it as attacking us and will respond accordingly."
SKYSCRAPER RUBBLE
One rebel group, the
"You cannot ask for aid with one hand and bomb with the other," said Amnesty's
It was unclear if
In
Fourteen deaths have been confirmed at the site and seven elsewhere in the city. The government is investigating the collapse and initial tests showed some steel samples from the site were substandard.
There were an estimated 70 bodies under the rubble and experts said 12 had been located using scanners, but access was blocked by large debris.
"Maybe they can survive one week or two weeks, so we have to go on,"
(Reporting by
(c) Reuters 2025. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Related News
-
Rite Aid weighs repeat bankruptcy filing, WSJ reports
Reuters - 27 minutes ago
-
Musk and OpenAI jury trial to begin in spring next year
Reuters - 27 minutes ago
-
BRIEF-Rite Aid Weighs Repeat Bankruptcy Filing - WSJ
Reuters - 30 minutes ago
-
Taiwan's top security official visits US for talks, source says
Reuters - 31 minutes ago
-
Baseball-Mets hero Alonso savors dream return to Queens after free agency drama
Reuters - 33 minutes ago
-
Los Angeles County to settle over 6,800 sex abuse claims for $4 billion
Reuters - 35 minutes ago
-
$100 Invested In This Stock 10 Years Ago Would Be Worth This Much Today
Benzinga - 38 minutes ago
-
Intel, TSMC recently discussed chipmaking joint venture, the Information reports
Reuters - 54 minutes ago