Myanmar earthquake survivors without food and shelter as death toll rises above 2,700

The death toll had reached 2,719 and is expected to rise to more than 3,000,
The 7.7 magnitude quake, which hit around lunchtime on Friday, was the strongest to hit the Southeast Asian country in more than a century, toppling ancient pagodas and modern buildings alike.
In neighbouring
In
"In the hardest-hit areas ...communities struggle to meet their basic needs, such as access to clean water and sanitation, while emergency teams work tirelessly to locate survivors and provide life-saving aid," the UN body said in a report.
The International Rescue Committee said shelter, food, water and medical help were all needed in places such as Mandalay, near the epicentre of the quake.
"Having lived through the terror of the earthquake, people now fear aftershocks and are sleeping outside on roads or in open fields," an IRC worker in Mandalay said in a report.
The civil war in
"
"It must immediately allow unimpeded access to all humanitarian organisations and remove administrative barriers delaying needs assessments."
The junta's tight control over communication networks and the damage to roads, bridges and other infrastructure caused by the quakes have intensified the challenges for aid workers.
Thai officials said a meeting of regional leaders in
Before the quake struck, sources said the junta chief had been expected to make a rare foreign trip to attend the summit in
HOPES DIM AT COLLAPSED BUILDING
In
"There are about 70 bodies underneath ... and we hope by some miracle one or two are still alive," volunteer rescue leader Bin Bunluerit said at the building site.
Search and rescue efforts continued at the site, supported by multinational teams including personnel from the U.S. and
"The rescue teams are doing their best. I can see that," said 19-year-old Artithap Lalod, who was waiting for news of his brother.
"However it turns out, that's how it has to be. We just have to accept that things will be the way they are," he said.
Thirteen deaths have been confirmed at the building site, with 74 people still missing.
Initial tests showed that some steel samples collected from the site of the collapsed building were substandard, Thai industry ministry officials said. The government has launched an investigation into the cause of the collapse.
(Reporting by
(c) Reuters 2025. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Related News
-
Bankrate - -74 minutes ago
-
What is a multicurrency account?
Bankrate - 1 minutes ago
-
How Microsoft's AI chief measures consumer inroads for Copilot
Reuters - 29 minutes ago
-
George Santos should serve more than 7 years in prison for fraud scheme, US prosecutors say
Reuters - 30 minutes ago
-
How Microsoft's AI chief measures consumer inroads for Copilot
Reuters - 33 minutes ago
-
How to get a home equity loan on a paid-off house
Bankrate - 33 minutes ago
-
Ukraine says Russia kills 19 in Kryvyi Rih, Moscow says it was targeting military
Reuters - 35 minutes ago
-
How much does it cost to refinance a mortgage?
Bankrate - 48 minutes ago