Big Tobacco targets Trump in hope - and fear - of change

Tobacco groups, including BAT and Altria, have complained that while waiting years for their own vapes or other products to get permission for sale in the U.S., some vape makers have taken substantial market share even though authorities say they are illegal to sell.
Despite efforts to stem the flow of unauthorised vapes, they currently dominate the market. BAT estimated last year that unauthorised disposable vapes account for around 70% of almost 10 billion pounds (
U.S. authorities have said these unauthorised vapes, including products made by Chinese firms, are illegal to import into the U.S. or sell there.
BAT and Altria have expressed optimism that Trump's government will address these issues.
BAT's U.S. subsidiary Reynolds American wrote to the
"The Chinese companies' unfair and illegal trading practices harm Reynolds and other law-abiding U.S. companies," Reynolds wrote in the letter, published by the USTR. The letter has not previously been reported.
Asked about the letter, a Reynolds spokesperson said only products that follow
The stakes are high for tobacco companies. Changes that deliver more robust enforcement of the rules governing vapes and other smoking alternatives could help them protect their market share in U.S. nicotine consumption even as tobacco use falls.
But any shift that removed or lowered legal and regulatory obstacles for currently unauthorised vapes could accelerate their growth further.
Big tobacco and vape companies want the
'NO SECRET'
Tobacco companies, as well as vape makers, are battling to get the ear of relevant U.S. leaders or officials to make the case for changes they would support, a total of three industry consultants said. They asked not to be identified in order to speak freely.
"It's no secret that everyone with a stake in this issue is trying to access the
Reynolds donated
BAT said it engages with lawmakers across the political spectrum and advocates for policies that help transition smokers to alternatives regardless of who is in the
His firm also previously employed
Wiles has not had any contact with
SAVE VAPING?
The
Tobacco industry executives are concerned that the
CTP has already been targeted for cuts and could be affected by plans to restructure federal public health agencies announced last week.
The
Reynolds said there was an "urgent need" to revisit how new products come to market, but it embraces
Altria pointed Reuters to remarks by CEO
The head of the
A significant change of approach was needed, Abboud told Reuters.
The association says it represents "industry-leading manufacturers of vapor devices, e-liquids, and flavorings, distributors and suppliers, as well as retailers."
Abboud met with Trump in 2024. Afterwards, in
(
(Reporting by
(c) Reuters 2025. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Related News
-
Netflix Rolls Out Enhanced Subtitle & Dubbing Options On TV
Benzinga - 15 minutes ago
-
BRIEF-Farmmi Regains Compliance With Nasdaq Minimum Bid Price Requirement
Reuters - 15 minutes ago
-
BRIEF-Beigene Provides Update On The Ociperlimab (Bgb-A1217) Clinical Development Program
Reuters - 16 minutes ago
-
RBC Lowers Price Target on Karyopharm Therapeutics to $43 From $45, Keeps Outperform Rating
MT Newswires - 16 minutes ago
-
BlackBerry Price Target Lowered to US$3.75 at RBC
MT Newswires - 16 minutes ago
-
BRIEF-State Street Global Advisors Announces Strategic Partnership And Investment In Ethic
Reuters - 16 minutes ago
-
BRIEF-Splash Beverage Group- On March 20, Appointed William Devereux As CFO - SEC Filing
Reuters - 16 minutes ago
-
BRIEF-RPM Announces Acquisition Of The Pink Stuff
Reuters - 16 minutes ago