Primark boss Marchant resigns after 'error of judgment' with a woman

Parent-company
It also emerged that Marchant had been investigated over a previous incident involving "inappropriate communication" some time ago, with "proportionate action" taken at the time, according to a company spokesperson.
In his over 15 years in charge of Primark, Marchant grew operating profit fourfold to over a billion pounds, more than doubling its store footprint to over 450 stores in 17 countries across
Primark, founded in
Shares in the parent company were trading down 1.3% on Monday, extending losses this year to 6.2%
"I am immensely disappointed. At ABF, we believe that high standards of integrity are essential," CEO
"Acting responsibly is the only way to build and manage a business over the long term. Colleagues and others must be treated with respect and dignity. Our culture has to be, and is, bigger than any one individual."
Marchant cooperated with an investigation, which was initiated by
Marchant acknowledged his "error of judgment" and accepted that his actions "fell below the standards expected by ABF," it said.
The spokesperson declined to state the nature of Marchant's indiscretion or to state if the woman concerned was a Primark employee.
It said the group would continue to offer support to the woman who brought his behaviour to its attention.
INTERIM PRIMARK BOSS
Eoin Tonge, AB Foods' finance director, will act as Primark CEO on an interim basis working with Primark's senior management team and its
"It is, indeed, a very disappointing, to say the least, end for Mr Marchant and all at Primark and ABF, where he has overseen the development of a fine value-based retailer with strong prospects for growth,"
Analysts at Barclays said leading Primark was one of the top roles in UK retail and would likely receive a lot of interest from potential candidates.
"But we don't think Primark are in a rush to fill the void until they find the right person to take charge," they said.
(
(This story has been refiled to fix a typo in paragraph 1)
(Reporting by
(c) Reuters 2025. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

Related News
-
Lenovo, Ericsson settle international patent dispute
Reuters - 9 minutes ago
-
Jeweller Pandora sees annual US tariff impact of $178 mln
Reuters - 9 minutes ago
-
MT Newswires - 9 minutes ago
-
Stellantis Reportedly to Temporarily Lay Off 900 US Workers After Tariff Rollout
MT Newswires - 15 minutes ago
-
Countries need to allow in more US products to bring down tariffs, Lutnick says
Reuters - 16 minutes ago
-
Jewellery maker Pandora sees annual impact from US tariffs of $178 mln
Reuters - 18 minutes ago
-
Amneal Pharmaceuticals' Crexont Added to Three Insurance Coverage Accounts
MT Newswires - 18 minutes ago